Why should I join the Del Ray Citizens Association?
As a member of the DRCA, you will receive:
- Information about what’s happening in the neighborhood. DRCA meetings (both membership and committee) and newsletters are great ways to hear about new land use issues, safety, transportation, volunteer opportunities, events, and more.
- Representation before the city. The DRCA advocates for issues important to our community in various city forums, such as the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and City Council.
- The right to vote on DRCA actions. Do you want to support the expansion of your favorite Mount Vernon Avenue restaurant’s outdoor seating? As a DRCA member, you’ll be part of the discussion and decision to submit a letter from the community in support of that application.
- A sense of community. Del Ray is a special place, and while everyone has their own variety of reasons for living here, the feel of the neighborhood is surely a reason that we all share. The DRCA helps to maintain that atmosphere, by, for example, cleaning our parks, supporting our schools, and addressing pedestrian safety.
- Free entrance to the annual chili cook-off (a $10 value)!
- Discounted tickets to the Del Ray House and Garden Tour (a $20 value)!
Where does my money go?
Membership dues support various community events and organizations. The DRCA uses dues to host events that bring neighbors together. Most of DRCA’s regular events raise money to benefit local nonprofits and Del Ray community projects. For example, the money raised from the 2018 chili cook-off will sponsor a Rebuilding Together Alexandria project, and we are donating the proceeds from the 2018 House and Garden Tour to the Del Ray Gateway project and to the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria.
The DRCA also helps support a number of community events throughout the year, such as the Halloween parade, Art on the Avenue, and the Turkey Trot.
The annual budget is approved by members at the September meeting, with additional sponsorships and expenditures determined throughout the year.